WELCOME

Hi and welcome to Ike's World. I AM PROUD TO BE A PREVIOUS DESIGN TEAM MEMBER FOR SMEARED INK, SIMPLY CREATE TOO,DELICIOUS DOODLES, POISONED PEAS PLEASE(now shut down)PATH of POSITIVITY, FOREVER FRIENDS DESIGN TEAM, SCRIBBLES DESIGNS, A MINION AT HAUNTED DESIGN HOUSE, a STITCHY's ANGEL at OSAAT. I am Co-Writer on QUOTH THE RAVEN and I run my own Challenge at IKE'sWORLD CHALLENGES, and SUYP Cats Only Challenge. Thanks for visiting and please drop by again :-)

Followers

Thursday 2 July 2015

QUOTH THE RAVEN QUEST #46 - POEtry


Good morning Peeps and happy Thursday :-D Here I am with my latest DT piece for QUOTH THE RAVEN QUEST # 46... POEtry. The idea is to create a piece which illustrates directly or is connected somehow to one of the POEms of EDGAR ALLAN POE. :-D  A full list of his works can be found HERE.
For my piece I have used POE's poem HYMN TO ARISTOGEITON and HARMODIUS. If you would like to read it then click HERE.
 Ἁρμόδιος καὶ Ἀριστογείτων were two men from ancient Athens. They became known as the Tyrannicides after they killed the Peisistratid tyrant Hipparchus, and were the pre-eminent symbol of democracy to ancient Athenians.
If you would like to read their full story then click HERE.
A bronze statue was made of them after the establishment of democracy and I have used a picture of marble sculptures of them, carved at a later date, as my main image. I superimposed this over a Greek flag and a POE image. 
Another tribute to the two heroes was a hymn (skolion) praising them for restoring equal distribution of justice to the Athenians.When sung, the singer would hold a branch of myrtle in his hand.This ode has been translated by many modern poets such as Edgar Allan Poe, who composed his Hymn to Aristogeiton and Harmodius in 1827. 


I used a die cut for my Myrtle flowers and made the centre stamens from tiny pieces of string with yellow puffy paint tips, and added a tiny Greek coin Athenian tetradrachm - depicting an owl ( representing Minerva) and the statue of the Tyrannicides.
We have Myrtle growing here on the Island, but despite how I keep trying to get cuttings to grow, I have been out of luck so far :-(

Thank you for popping in today and I hope you will come over to visit us at QUOTH THE RAVEN and play along with our Challenge.

Challenges I am entering: 

Craft My Life Challenge June/July - Anything Goes Not A Card
Get Creative Challenges #18 - Must have Flowers
Smudgy Antics July Challenge - For The Love Of POE


8 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute and fabulous piece Ginny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! Love it! Thanks for sharing and joining us at Inspiration Destination. Hope to see you again and good luck!
    Ema
    IDCB Owner

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very fun! Glad you could join us at Get Creative Challenges.

    Camille - DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic. Lovely details.
    Thanks for playing with us at Inspiration Destination.
    Good luck and hope we see you again.
    xxx Michelle (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful project and a poetry lesson too. Thanks for playing with Get Creative Challenges no. 18, Use Flowers. Join us again.
    Erica (Get Creative Challenges DT Member)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your take on the theme. I wondered at first... but of course you did a lovely job. Always helps to read the post hu : ) Great job hope to see you next month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing details about the background of this page. What rich and lovely history. The flowers rock and love your creativity on how to get those fine yellow tips. Beautifully done and love the imagery and layers. So appreciate your entry into this month's challenge at Smudgy Antics. Shoni - DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fabulous work IKE! I really love all the different layers and elements to this page. Thank you for sharing it wit us at Smudgy Antics xxx

    ReplyDelete